Q. Can I do hot yoga?
Hot yoga is suitable most people, and in NQ most activities are done in 30˚C anyways! Technically, most of our classes are considered “warm” yoga rather than hot yoga because we only heat to 30˚C instead of 37˚C to 42˚C like more traditional studios.
We will need a clearance from your Doctor if you:
- Under 16 years old
- Have a history of heart condition or stroke
- Have a serious cardio-vascular condition including hypertension, hypotension or heart failure
- Are currently using diuretics, barbiturates or beta-blockers
Q. What is covered on the fitness passport?
Your fitness passport covers you for all classes displayed on the timetable section of our website, which includes all drop in classes for yoga, hot yoga, pilates and barre. You have access to pretty much everything, except our special courses (like beginners coursers) and our special workshops (like yin yoga and myosfacial release). You can come to one class per day. There is no extra cost, but we have to sight your fitness passport card in person with photo ID before we can set you up with your free access. This means you can't book online for your first class, which is fine, just pop in 10 minutes early to your first class with out booking and we will get you all sorted. Make sure to sign the fitness passport checkin sheet every time you visit.
Q. How do I prepare for a class?
- Arrive hydrated
- Don’t eat for at least 1.5 hours before class
- Wear comfy clothes you can sweat and move in comfortably. Most gals wear leggings and a singlet. Most of the guys where shorts and a t-shirt (just make sure your shorts are soft or stretchy material)
- Mats, blocks and straps are provided but most people prefer to have their own mat
- Bring a large towel big enough to cover your whole mat, hot yoga towels are best because your hands can grip better, but you can use a bath sheet or beach towel)
- Please bring your own water. We do not sell bottled water.
- We have a changing area but no showers
- Avoid wearing strong perfumes
Q. What can I expect at my first class?
Expect to feel very welcome and supported. We are just a group of everyday people practicing some yoga to chill out and have some fun. Everyone is welcome regardless of fitness or experience level. In fact, most people that come to our classes are still learners too!
Q. How do I book my classes?
We recommend you book in for a class through MINDBODY Online, available both on iPhone and Android to reserve a space in class. It's super easy, and you can cancel up to an hour before class if something comes up. If you need help booking, please get in touch via phone or email, and we'd love to help you out. If you prefer not to book, you are welcome to drop in, but because people love our classes - we just can't guarantee that we will always room. Occasionally, unforeseen circumstance could mean that our timetable may change without notice. It's best to stay in touch for important updates via our social media channels, via Facebook and Instagram. Fitness Passport holders refer to above guidelines.
Q. Is it ok if I've never done yoga before?
Yes, of course, we love newbies at Lighten Up! Most students prefer to do our beginners course first, but if you feel confident to give it a try our Flow Yoga and Detox Yoga are targeted at the beginner level. You are also welcome to join our Yin classes. Please just be sure to let the teacher know you are just starting out and practice at your own pace. Also, if you are new don’t sit too far at the back, you need to be at least 3rd row so you can easily see and follow the teacher. When you are learning, hearing the verbal cues isn’t enough, you need to have a clear view of the teacher. The back row is more suited to experienced students who need minimal instruction.
Q. What is the Lighten Up studio etiquette?
- Arrive at least ten minutes before class (arriving late can disturb our tranquil vibe)
- Check-in with your teacher at each class
- Spray down your mat and rehang before you leave the studio
- we don’t mind our students having a chat before class starts, we love see smiles and kind words being shared, its part of our welcoming vibe. But it’s nice to have some quiet time at least 2 minutes before class so you everyone has time to settle in
- No personal belongings on the floor room other than water and a towel (they all need to go into the pigeon holes on the wall, its easier to relax in a clutter free space)
- Please turn your phones off when you arrive – give yourself an hour free from the electromagnetic radiation!
- Listen carefully to the teacher’s instructions
- You may lie down or come to child's pose at any time to rest, but commit to staying in the room for the whole class unless its an emergency
Q. What if I have an injury?
If you have an injury be sure to get the all clear from your doctor, physio or chiro before attending our classes. Make the teacher aware of all injuries before the class. Know your limits and listen to your body and don’t over do it. Its okay to skip a pose if it doesn’t feel right. If you need to take a rest just come into child’s pose until the teacher moves onto the next one.
Q. How often should I practice?
For maintenance its best to do at least 2 classes per week, if you are looking to improve strength and flexibility 4 or more is a good target and up to 6 is excellent. Its best to mix up your practice with a combination of classes.
Q. Where do I park for classes?
At our City studio, the best parking is along Sturt Street for $1 per hour. Free parking is available in the Woolworths Carpark on Sturt St for 2 hours.
At our Douglas Location, there is free parking just next door to the Riverside Community Centre, or right in front on the street side - also free!